Sometimes I have trouble sleeping, for no apparent reason. Last night, I lay in bed, awake for a couple of hours. Dead tired, and unable to fall asleep. All my tossing and turning must have awakened Darren. I told him I couldn't sleep, and he mumbled something that sounded like a sorry and turned over.
As I lay there, random thoughts drifted in and out of my mind. I remembered a book I had been reading earlier in the day, and how one of the characters had had a glass of warm milk to help her sleep. Warm milk? It might be worth a try.
For the next several minutes, I debated whether or not to get up and get myself a glass of warm milk. I was about to give up the plan, when Darren turned to me and asked, "Do you want me to get you some warm milk?" I was shocked. How did he know?
Now, drinking warm milk in the middle of the night is not something that I've ever done. He didn't ask that because it's a habit of mine, or because I've ever said a word about how warm milk can help you sleep. This was completely out of the blue.
When Darren came back from the kitchen a few minutes later, I told him how I had just been lying there thinking about warm milk, and what a coincidence it was that he had offered to make me some. He shrugged and said, "The Lord asked me to." That's my husband for you.
What a wonderful thing to have a husband who is sensitive to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost so he can know, that specifically, what his family needs--even something as simple as warm milk.
What a wonderful thing to have a Father in heaven who knows us perfectly, and cares enough about our happiness to grant us some of these "tender mercies."
With a stomach full of warm milk, I fell asleep thinking about the words of David A. Bednar: "Some may count this experience as simply a nice coincidence, but I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."
I love that, LaChelle. Hope you're feeling well:)
ReplyDeleteLaChelle, that is just the sweetest little story! I love it. :) I am glad you're being taken care of. You deserve it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that story! You have yourself a wonderful husband, and it is great to be reminded of our Heavenly Father's love for us, and the fact that He is truly aware of each of us and cares about our needs. :o)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a sweet story Lachelle. Thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDelete