Thursday, January 27

Blog Option Mayhem

I'm sitting here finishing off a mighty fine oatmeal raisin cookie, letting the kids sleep juuuust a little bit longer. Even though dinner time is here.

I've been thinking about this blog. That might seem unlikely, considering its current "ghost town" status. I think I'm averaging about once every three months or something like that. It's amazing to me that I used to post on here several times a week. (Incidentally, I went back and read all my previous posts this afternoon, and realized that 75% of them are completely boring and irrelevant to everyone except me.) These days, there are either more important things that need doing, or I write up a post halfway, then look at it sideways and think, "Why would anybody want to read this?" Then it gets deleted. Then I don't have time to start over.

But I really enjoy having a family blog to keep up on, and this year I'd really like to do better at posting more regularly, as well as making it relevant and interesting.

So. Here's what's on my mind: I've been sort of dumb in the last three years, and posted a lot of personal information on this blog - kids' first names, birthdays, even an old address at one point. Now, chances are pretty slim that anything bad will happen, but you can't go wrong in trying to be smart about internet sharing. Silly LaChelle.

I've considered going private, but after mulling that idea around, that's not the solution I'm looking for. I've considered sticking with this blog, but going through every single post and removing any sensitive info. That would take FOREVER. And I'm not positive the change would update in Google Reader and other feeds. Would it?

I've also considered retiring this blog and starting over on a whole new one. New url, new blog title, new design. Refresh the excitement and get me posting more regularly. I'm sort of leaning towards that. In some ways, it's less time-consuming than editing three years' worth of posts. But it's also a little more complex, setting up a whole new blog, and especially asking everybody to update their readers and blogrolls. Ick.

I guess my third option is to leave the blog exactly the way it is and keep going exactly the way I have been.

So, I'm here asking for your thoughts and input. I know this is sort of a silly issue. But I'd really like to hear your opinion.

Amen. Dinner time.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I'll bet you didn't know I read your blog. I think that if you started a new blog, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as long as you listed the link on this blog so people could add it to their readers. So whatever you do, I'm sure we'll all be just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not HYPER - concerned about using names and such on the internet, but I don't put our full name. I try not to say where I live, or use the names of my kids schools and such. If we go on vacation, I don't announce when and where we are going until we come home... stuff like that.

    If I were you, I'd take the easiest option. I would "slurp" this blog and print it out as a book, then retire this blog and start up a new one. Seriously - it's not that hard to start one up - I just started a private one for Katrina and it took me an hour...
    put up a "LAST CHANCE" post on this one that tells people the new link, leave it up for a specified amount of days, then shut this one down. (that way people like me will just add your new one to my google reader and life will go on just fine. ) That's way I don't like private ones - I have to actually remember to click over there periodically to see if there's anything new...

    if you opt to go through and edit them all, I's pretty sure it won't resend them into google reader's feed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys :)

    About 10 minutes after I posted this, I thought, "Duh, just start a new blog, LaChelle. Big deal!"

    Something about typing it all out cleared it up inside my brain. That happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LaChelle, you can't get rid of us. We'll follow you wherever you go...HaHAH!

    Just kidding (sort of). Whatever you decide will be great.

    ReplyDelete