Monday, February 2

A day as a superhero

Today I saved a life. Pretty cool, huh? Okay, so it's not nearly as heroic as it sounds, but still.

Darren and I gave blood this morning. It was a date, of sorts. Not the most romantic thing in the world, but the nice people in scrubs at the Red Cross gave us juice and cookies afterwards. And let's be honest--nothing beats oogling into each other's eyes over those big chair things, trying not to look at the big needle in your arm, and squeezing that little ball in your hand every four seconds.

I really enjoy giving blood. It makes me feel like I'm single-handedly making a difference. And think about it--to one person, I am. I haven't been able to give since before I was pregnant with Peter (nearly two years ago!) and I have to admit I've missed it. I was ridiculously excited to go this morning.

All day I've been proudly wearing the blue badge of sticky tape around my elbow.

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed you can handle needles and giving blood! It always makes me queasy... may there be more people like you in the world who donate blood with a happy heart! By the way, we got the check! Thank you for sending it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I like giving blood too! I should have taken advantage of it more when I could. I didn't go as often as I should have. And, any excuse for a date is a good one.

    ReplyDelete