Wednesday, January 7

Can I get an Amen!

On Sunday in Relief Society, the girl giving the opening prayer ended by saying Amen, as in "Ah-men," not "Ay-men."

The rest of us replied with "Ay-men" instead of copying her pronunciation. I had to laugh because just the comparison made the whole group of us sound silly, like a bunch of irreverent, insincere, apathetic church-goers (even though that's entirely not true), as if the girl who gave the prayer was more sincere or righteous than the rest of us, because she used the older pronunciation, and we didn't.

I pictured our Relief Society room full of women slouching in their chairs, rolling their eyes, popping bubble gum, and texting their friends while a little nun standing up in front clasps her hands piously and lifts her eyes towards heaven. The caricature of the two extremes made me want to giggle for a minute or two afterwards. But that really would be irreverent.

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've checked in on your cute fam. Things looks like all is well. I love the Christmas post and pics. Funny bruises?! Also the amen post was hilarious, because I can totally relate.... I always wonder which way we should say it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete