Tuesday, July 1

Dreaming

Last night Darren and I went to see "Les Miserables" at the Center Street Musical Theatre. It was the "school" edition, which means no adults were performing. And for a bunch of kids, they actually pulled it off pretty well, for the most part. I was impressed by some of the talent we saw. Some girls from our ward were in it, and it was so fun to see them perform on stage.

Now, Center Street Theatre isn't as professional as, say, Hale Theater, or even the Scera. But considering the fact that they're a relatively new venture, I think they do pretty well. Since they don't have the same reputation as some of the bigger theater companies in the area, they don't attract the same kind of talent that the other theaters do. But by the same token, it's easier for little nobodies like Darren and I to jump in and get involved. Yes, it's true. Darren and I are going to be in a musical. We'll be performing in CSMT's production of "Beauty and the Beast" in September. We're just villagers and flatware in the ensemble, so nothing really big. But I'm excited, because it's my first real, intentional brush with the theater world since I was in "The Sound of Music" nearly six years ago (the unintentional ones stemmed from sharing the HFAC with the quirky theater majors, but that's a topic for another day), and I have to admit, I've really missed it.

To me, there's something so thrilling about performing on stage. It's so easy for me to get caught up in the costumes and lights and scenery and music, whether I'm in the cast or the audience. And between all of the Beauty and the Beast rehearsals, and attending the Les Mis performance last night, I'm starting to feel the pull again. The theater world is working its magic on me again, and all my dormant dreams and desires are coming back to life. Yikes! There are several reasons why I should just ignore it and move on. For instance, there's a huge time commitment there. High school theater was one thing, but I'm an adult now. Also, I don't have as much of the experience and formal training that a lot of other performers have had. Would I just be setting myself up as a perpetual ensemble member? Where's the fun in that? I want to be a star, darn it all! Well, I'm kidding, but only a little bit. I would love to eventually land a lead role, but I understand I may not be the most qualified, so I'll be grateful for whatever I can get.

Well, for now I'll just continue to dream. In the meantime, here are some recent pictures for your viewing pleasure. Here's Peter getting "caught" sitting up,


Peter flying away,
And Peter after Daddy was finished dressing him.
We love our little Peter-Doo!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah LaChelle!! That's so fun that you're doing a show! I miss those days sometimes. I dream of doing musicals with my whole family some day. Who knows, maybe we'll be the Von Trapp family some day? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I could come see you in a show. I'm sure you all will be fabulous. Wow, The Sound of Music was 6 years ago? I remember that. When did we get so old?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Darren needs a little more practice dressing Peter - just a thought.

    ReplyDelete