I've been Book-Tagged by Becky! So, here's the deal:Directions:
1- Get the nearest Book to you, or one you're reading that contains over 123 pages.
2- Go to the 123 page.
3- Find the 5th sentence.
4- Post the 5th sentence.
5-Tag five people.
Right now I'm in the middle of Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens, so we'll use that. And the quote is:
"At last a chain and some bolts were withdrawn with a rusty noise, as if the weather had made the very fastenings hoarse, and a small boy with a large red head, and no nose to speak of, and a very dirty Wellington boot on his left arm, appeared; who (being surprised) rubbed the nose just mentioned with the back of a shoe-brush, and said nothing."
I love Dickens, and I've had a really good time "discovering" him over the last couple of years. His writing style can be a little cumbersome, because his sentences are so long and complex; which, bless his heart, made it a little tricky to figure out exactly which sentence on page 123 was the fifth one. But he paints his characters with such incredible humor and charm, and creates such fascinating stories, and uses such brilliant imagery, that I have to fall in love with his writing. And even the cumbersome language doesn't bother me anymore. I think it's kind of endearing (apparently he was paid by the word--I would have written long sentences too!). And let's not forget the crazy names he comes up with. I love it.
I tag Anna, ShaNae, Annie, Erin, and Laura
I need to read more Dickens
ReplyDeleteDaniel and I read "A Christmas Carol" every year and we love it! I really should try some of the other Dickens.
ReplyDelete